Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Back in the Yark Again

My hands feel dry, and I have dirt in my fingernails that will take a very long soaking to remove. I feel great! I've been working in my yard for two days. I love it.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe. ~ John Muir

I have no extra cash to buy plants or shrubs, so I've been working with cuttings and marigold seeds, and cleaning out my beds, which are a mess. (I think I might be rounding a corner on coming out of my depression.)

I really find a joy in watching things grow.

"Though I have looked everywhere, I can find nothing lowly in the universe." ~
~A R Ammons (from "Still")


I had saved a bunch of marigold plants that died after being pummelled by one of the tropical storms. I don't know why exactly I saved them. Sentimental, maybe? But, they were in a huge pile behind this park bench we have in our front yard. I think it was knowing there was the potential for life that I kept them. I knew they had the power to scatter and plant themselves, but I wanted them with me.

I broad casted the seeds in a few different areas. I've never done this before, so this will be interesting to me to see if they sprout and how hardy they will be. In areas I had cleared, I scattered the seeds and then covered them with some kind of 'good soil' that costs more than regular dirt at Home Depot. (I'm not exactly a Master Gardener, I just sort of wing it, figuring dirt and plants together, oh well, it's all good, you know? God does best with the rest.)

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art." ~
Leonardo da Vinci


While I was cleaning out one of the beds, I found a Cilantro sprig from a plant that had died, so I replanted that. I also found a little sprig of basil, so I got that in, too. I'm curious to see if they hold and grow. They both smell so good.

I have a bunch of small pots, so I'm going to put cuttings in them and some more of the marigold seeds. I figure it's better that than looking at empty pots.

I have some oregano growing, some spearmint that might come back, one tomato, and some onions. I'm doing peppers again this year, and I am determined to learn how to make salsa.

Also! I found a new caterpillar! I'll have to post a photo when #2 son comes back from the FSU/Gator game in Tallahassee, as he borrowed my camera. But I know what it is. It will be a yellow butterfuly. Actually, I have four different butterfuly species in my yard. I am such a sap. I love this nature stuff.

It rained hard after I planted those seeds, so who knows what happnened to them. In two days, I spent 7 hours in my yard. And I have a really small yard. I wonder, what in the world was I doing out there all this time!

After the beautiful weekend, we got that rain and now a cold front has moved in. I know, it's South Florida, so many people say, 'what cold?' and it's true really, but still - no snow maybe, but you could use a jacket.

~~Insert -

I must have taken a commercial break because this post and another post got mixed up together. One of those laspes where the neurons misfire, explode, and doing something totally weird and unexplainable. Never mind, me.

2 comments:

Susan Humeston said...

You live in South Florida also? I'm in Broward County south of Ft. Lauderdale. I NEED to get out in my yard. I've planted everything under the sun in the last 5 years - firebush, clerodendrum (that creep everywhere), a huge poinciana tree and it's cousin that blooms in yellow flowers. Our grass is dying because of the leaf fall and shadow from the trees all day. I've planted so many bushes that I can't reach the top to trim.....but the birds sure like it.

Just Here For Now said...

Yes, I have a South Florida yard. Part of it is sand! LOL. After I did all that work for 7 hours of clean up, we had a terrible rain storm, high winds - it's a mess again, but I am determined to get it into shape again.
I keeps me sane.
So, get back out in your yard!! LOL.