Monday, December 08, 2008

And a positive day to you, too! So, there!

This was the message in my in box from Thought for Today -

Dear roxie

Positive thinking and optimistic outlook will never produce bad results. Negative thinking and pessimistic approach will never produce good results. Positive thinkers will never fail. Negative thinkers will never succeed.


I get it. I do get it. And I am a Positive Thinker.

What I have observed in the world of Positive Thinking is that it is quite possible to annoy people, who are not quite there yet, with your over positive assertion and drivel. (I am a studier of human behavior, as it is one of the most perplexing things ever.)

Looking at it closely, it may be that (some) Positive Thinkers don't give people a chance to process the happenings in their lives without just wanting them to move on with a wave of their hand, into the land of It's All Good.

I consider myself a kinder, gentler version of Positive Thinking (oh, aren't I just so special?). But honestly, I do allow people some moments of lapsing about in the land of negativity before I turn on my Enlightening Lamp to shine on their downtrodden thoughts.

I guess what I try to do, is keep the person steady on their feet instead of just turning on the flood lights and having them not really realize where they are. It seems, that sometimes, if you give people a minute to feel through whatever it is, they can find their way out of the dark, even if it is only to say, 'it could be worse' - which might not be deemed as positive thinking, but it's a start.

So let's see, how to sum up ...

Think Positive. Think Clearly.
Put the Gun Down.
Don't shoot the messenger.
Today will be a better day (yikes, or is that tomorrow?).
Check your caffeine quota.
Run, Forest, Run!

No comments: