...is not a sassy little girl who smells like feet. An Onion Tart is pretty and can be served to company. I surprised myself with this delightful thing!
I found the recipe in one of Madam B's Vegetarian Cook Books. She avoided this one, because really, young people just aren't favored to onions ~ but Mr. B loves onions. And the other night, while out at dinner, someone else commented how much they love onions, and Mr. B's sister loves onions, so I gave this a try.
And a big thumbs up! It's pretty and it's tasty and onions are good for you. Here's the recipe:
Ingredients for the filling~
2 TBS butter or olive oil
2 onions sliced thin
1/2 tsp fresh or dried thyme
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
2 tsps poppy seeds
1/4 tsp mace or nutmeg
salt and pepper
Ingredients for the pastry~
1 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBS cold butter
4 TBS Milk
The tart is a perfect size for a pie plate. It serves 6. Here's what you do to make it.
(I did the filling part because Madam B just can't handle onions yet. Her eyes just won't take it! We've tried all the old wives tale remedies I know; I'm sure one day she'll just build a tolerance....Madam B did the pastry part, so, of course, it was pretty and perfect)
anyway...
Step One ~ Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan and add your thinly sliced onions and cook over a low heat about 10 to 12 minutes until soft and golden looking. Add the thyme and some salt and pepper to taste, set them aside and let them cool while you do the rest.
Preheat the oven to 425. Depending on how fast your oven heats will depend on when you turn your oven on!
Step Two -- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Using a pastry blender (which we don't have yet, can you imagine!) or two knives, cut the butter into the ingredients until the mixture resembles crumbs. Then add the milk and stir lightly with a wooden spoon to make a dough.
Step Three -- Turn out the dough on a floured surface and knead lightly.
Step Four -- Pat the dough into an 8 inch round pan of some kind. (It calls for a deep one, but I think a pie plate will do.) Press the dough evenly and then pour the onion mixture on top.
Step Five -- Beat together the egg and the sour cream or yogurt. (I used the dough bowl so I didn't have to dirty another bowl). Spread that evenly over the onions. (Vegetarians like things 'even' apparently.)
Sprinkle with your poppy seeds and mace (I didn't use mace) or nutmeg. (I have no idea what mace is, never used it before, so good luck with that should you choose it.)
Bake the Tart for 30 - 35 minutes until the egg topping is puffed and golden.
Step Six -- Let the tart cool for about 10 minutes. Slip a knife between the tart and the pan/plate/thingie to loosen, then, unmold onto a plate and serve. (I am not so formal and served it up in the original plate I baked it in.)
But it was tasty!!
Thursday, June 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment