I was reading a blog recently in which the post was making a statement about people in grocery store lines. The statement was referring to the fact that many people who use food stamps are wearing designer clothes and carrying designer purses. And this person sounded offended. (Offended to, by the fact, that the food stamp purchaser might be purchasing lobster claws instead of pink slim hamburger...)
The post set off a litany of responses in which more and more people echoed this horror, of the nerve ,of those on food stamps wearing or carrying something of monetary value. How dare they, oh my ...aren't we just so special to take note of this it all seems to imply ....ha rummmp!
And I wondered ... Have none of these people ever been to a Thrift Store or a Consignment Shop?
Thrift Stores and Consignment Shops are packed full of the donations from lots and lots of people who discard perfectly good expensive stuff!!! And it is sold for cheaper than cheap!! (The soon to be ex wife of Tiger Woods invited one of the local charities here to come into her home before it was demolished and take everything in it as her donation to them. They took everything -- every.thing. Not just the furniture and carpet but also the teak off the walls, the corner boards. Everything they could take was donated and sold for cheap, cheap, cheap.)
One place in my state called World Thrift has a line outside that would beat the premier of Harry Potter on Saturdays and Half Off Senior Tuesday! You name it, it's there! Televisions, VCRs, DVD players, Blu Ray players, expensive Receivers, really, just about any electronic you can name. There's suits and shoes and dishes and Purses and --Designer Clothes--, accessories, blouses, pants, skirts, long and elegant formal party dresses for $5.00!! --- the stuff is packed into the aisles! A lot of it brand new! They must buy overloads from other stores or something.
There are Toys and games and books, lamps, furniture!! Jewelry! Jackets and Coats! Beautiful winter coats! Men, women and children's clothing and the baby clothes and baby items! Galore! Just about anything you can name except maybe paint and food would be available to you at so cheap!
I know people have the right to make comments and remarks all they want. But, I wonder how it is that some people go overboard in showing off their ignorance. I feel like they are feeling sorry for themselves, are lazy, or just need some attention.
In posting this, I fear I sound judgmental. I don't mean to be. I am just so irritated at ignorance when it is spoken out loud for someone to read.
But I have to remember that when someone makes a statement that they mean to tell about another person, they are really telling us about themselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment