Friday, October 19, 2012

These days.

These are new days of a season in my life as I am now, officially, an empty-nester.  I loved those days of my children being here, living here.  I love being a mom, and I love doing all the necessary 'mom things' that each phase dictated; the chore of meeting their needs and making sure they did enough chores and understand even though they were not the center of the universe, they were the center of mine, wanting to spoil them and knowing that would spoil their beautiful beings; I love talking with them, laughing with them, oh such wonderful creatures are our children, blessings from God.

Each day has always brought something new and exciting.  You never knew what a day would bring.  And that was great and wonderful, most exciting thing.  A spider  found in the bathtub was dramatic! He must be returned to his home outside alive, but he must not touch us in the process.  Learning to sort out the most important things of each day was a mission, but I was always hoping to remember it was 'the moment' that was going to end up being important.

I thank the good Lord that I knew they were each individual beings from the very beginning of their very beginnings.

I loved my children from the moment I knew the idea was possible for me to have them.  I savored them.  They were so lovely, sweet and innocent as they entered the world.  And I was going to be able to take them home and keep them!!  Oh my.  Incredible!  What an incredible gift!  

The time does go by so quickly, though.  Getting to know them, and trying to 'train them up in the way they should go', it all comes at such a rapid fire pace!  And that phrase, 'train up a child the way he should go, was a phrase that  unfolded to me, so slowly, as to it's real meaning.

How could I train them up the way they should go, if I didn't know them?  And how could I know them before we could have many conversations and observations and share a deep contemplation for what could be the true meaning of life --  which took the time of growing up to do?  How could I train them and know them at the same time?  I think that is part of the reason it's important to live in the 'now' of the moment, the way little kids do, and to love the moment you are in.  Because in the end, the moment is all you have.

The more I live in the present moment, the happier I become.  It takes me a moment when I see each of my children, to catch my breath from the joy that sweeps over me just looking at them as they enter a room.  I have been blessed.  And, I thank the good Lord for that.  Even on the days I forget.


No comments: